Sunday, December 8, 2019

Wayfair 12/08/19

For wayfair, their slogan is "Wayfair, you've got just what I need" and then there's probably something else they sing in the jingle about that rhymes with it. But, I watched three ads for Wayfair and in every single one they made a point about how they have free shipping. However, in only one of them they actually said that its for orders over $49. But this is only in small font held by a lady on a couch moving across the screen pretty fast.

If I only saw the other ads and them just featuring the part about free shipping, that would definitely make me more likely to buy from them. I'm pretty sure that I speak for a lot of people when I say that shipping affects whether I buy something or not. Like, if something cost less but it had shipping, I would be less likely to buy it than something that costs a little more but has no shipping.
Another thing I noticed about when I was watching the ad was that there was free shipping when an order was over $49. It didn't say when you spend $50 or more, but when something is over $49. I think that could be because they just wanted something shorter to write on the sign, but its probably more because its not $50. People don't want to spend the amount that is in the 10s place. If it was a dollar less being said, its like your still spending on the higher end of the 40s, but its not quite into the 50s yet, until you look at the end price with tax and stuff but still, you think its ok because at least its not in the next tens group. That's like when businesses do the $9.99 thing or something like that. It's always a cent less. A person's mindset is that it's technically not $10 even though with tax it'll be over that. When a kid wants a toy and it has the 99 cents added on, they'll obviously round down to $9 instead of $10.

1 comment:

  1. I've also heard of and (sadly) have fallen victim to these types of tricks. There's just something about the number 99 that seems to be reassuring to me (and to a lot of others) and makes us believe that we are not spending as much money as we would be if the price is just one cent higher. Maybe it's because we see how many dollars the product is first before we see how many cents it is, and because dollars are worth more than cents, we pay way less attention to how many cents the product costs and therefore choose to ignore the fact that it's really just one cent away from being a dollar more. Actually, it seems that we humans have a problem with being too quick to latch onto the first thing or idea we see, and advertisers have learned how to use this to their advantage.

    ReplyDelete